stalk me when i run (and other marathon things)

STALK ME
The Twin Cities Marathon is on Sunday and for those of you that are supremely interested in my progress (or lack thereof) you can track me via text messages on your phone. Neat-o, right? You have to register to track me by tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m., so procrastinate on something else and go sign up now!

RACE PLAN
I was quite vague about my dad and my race plan but we seriously hadn't discussed anything beyond run until we feel like stopping while staying in front of the sweep bus. Since then, though, we've come up with a plan of a 12 minute pace. That's roughly a 5:15 marathon (and 4 minutes slower per mile than my PR). The course time limit is 6 hours. He has a history of starting too fast and burning out so my goal is to keep him slow through mile 18 and then we can pick it up from there.

RACE DAY
The weather on race day should be phenomenal, albeit cold at race start. Throw-away sweats are being sourced.  If you're spectating, please leave a comment about what miles you'll be at.

LINGERING QUESTIONS (feel free to weigh in or just ignore these)
1. Should I run with my a) camera (pictures with no immediate social interaction) b) phone (pictures  with immediate social interaction) or c) neither? I usually don't run with anything but at this pace, I think I could manage a few photos. Worth it or not?
2. My dad doesn't think I'll physically be able to run that slow for that long and thinks I'm going to ditch him. I'm not. However, if he drops for whatever reason, should I keep going or stop, too?



Comments

  1. 1. Assuming your phone camera is even remotely decent (most are these days)... go with that.
    2. I think it's your call. I would understand if you wanted to finish still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your finish! (I'm just now looking up everyone's times...) Hope you had a great race!

      Delete
  2. 1. Yes - photos with your camera.
    2. Either way. Mile 17. Be prepared. (And not just for #BShadow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please post photos of whatever is happening here. Including #BShadow.

      Delete
  3. I don't usually comment, but I will say that running slower than your normal pace will be harder on your legs than you are expecting. As for ditching your dad if he drops out - I would talk to him about how he feels and go from there. I know personally I would want my running partner to finish even if I for some reason couldn't. I also know that when I start a race I would always want to finish it. :) Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breanna! I got a little worried about how tight my hips were feeling the first few miles but they loosened up. Today, only sore quads.

      Delete
  4. 1. Worth it. Either one. You'll be running at a comfortable pace, so the addition of one or the other hopefully won't bug you. Also, if you decide to finish and your dad doesn't, you can give him the phone/camera before you pick up the pace.

    2. Depends on how you feel. I don't think you need to drop out just because he does. If you want to finish up the race, I think you should. :)

    3. I'm going to try to be at Dean Pkwy btwn Calhoun & Isles, and then at the finish.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Definitely photos with your camera!
    2. If your dad drops out (but fingers crossed your plan works) I'd say finish up if you're still feeling good!!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

my first race & other weekend activities

how to train for the bear run on a treadmilll